Monday, August 13, 2018

Show and Tell ~


I remember those school days long ago
when we were given the opportunity before our class-mates
to "show & tell" of our treasured items.
My thoughts ~ I believe show and tell may have been a fun way
of getting students out of their comfort zone
and up in front of others speaking without even realizing it was a teaching tool.
I looked forward to sharing with my class-mates,
but I'm not real sure it helped me in overcoming  my shy and quiet spirit.
It wasn't until High School when, at a Christmas dance my best friend and I 
stood up against the wall looking like wall flowers, both very much shy and quiet
that I had a little talk with me, myself and I.
'Debbie, is this really how you want to be for the rest of your life?!
Unless I decided to make some changes, I would likely remain a wall flower.
Soon after my little talk I was employed by the ski resort as a chair lift operator.
During my interview I was told that I was given the job
because of who my dad and his business partner were,
and that I would be hired on a trial basis.
I had to prove myself, speak to the tourists and be friendly, after all, 
it was the tourists that brought in the business for the ski area.
That was the turning point in my life,
and the shy, quiet Debbie never stood as a wall flower again.
Making conversation was... well... I could talk to a stump if I had too.

~ ~ ☆ ☆ ♡ ♡ ♡ ☆ ☆ ~ ~

While I have nothing to show you here in this post sweet friends,
 I do have  some happenings to tell you all about.
Remember a year ago July 2nd mom had a massive heart attack,
then Urosepsis, followed by a fall in the Rehab Center due to the O.T.
leaving her wheel-chair unlocked causing a brain bleed,
followed by brain surgery.
After two "Flight for Life" helicopter rides, months in the hospital,
extensive rehab and tberapy mom has graduated.
After her visits with the Doctors this past week
mom will travel back to Arizona knowing all is good and well.
Mom had some mitro valve clips put in and they have secured themselves perfectly.
While mom will always have heart disease we stand in amazement 
over the short time it took for her to make strides.
She made it back to her home in Arizona last March,
has private help looking in on her, and is driving.
Yes, driving!!
God's grace and mercy, your faithful prayers and mom's determination
is why she is a walking miracle.

~ ~ ☆ ☆ ♡ ♡ ♡ ☆ ☆ ~ ~

This past week I landed on a bit of a ripple climbing my "sand dune".
I think it was the weepy ripple, I was warned it would pay me a visit.
At the drop of a hat, I was weepy.
While at one of my therapy sessions, my therapist asked "how was I sleeping?"
Tears began to roll down my cheeks as I shared that going to bed in the evening
was dark, dreary and depressing.
Hooking up to the ice machine, being surrounded by pillows, sleeping on my back
all played a factor in why I didn't look forward to my bed at night;
so my dear therapist told me it was time to change things up.
Now I ice only during the day, no more pillows except for one,
and I can sleep under the covers like a human being.
I was told to take a few days off from major exercising
as I was over doing it causing some bruising underneath the skin.
When my therapist told me I had fluid around my knee 
and that it could turn into scar tissue, I freaked out!
I have such a fear of NOT doing things right with my exercises,
but overkill can be just as harmful.
Lesson learned!
After four days of nothing but rest, ice and sleep, I'm back in the saddle again.
My precious therapist knows me very well, 
she has treated me with my three other minuscule knee surgeries and with my
vestibular/labyrinth balance issues, so I know she is looking after me well.
She continues to remind me that it is still quite early and take it slow.
Slow is a foreign word with me, but, I'm listening to my orders.

~ ~ ☆ ☆ ♡ ♡ ♡ ☆ ☆ ~ ~

Over these past weeks I have been greatly blessed by the love
that so many dear friends and family members have showered upon me.
There have been meals, cards, gifts, flowers, phone calls, 
encouraging text & e-mail messages, visits, drivers, errand runners and lots of hugs.
Thank You!!
I have had the joy of being treated like such a lady from my grandsons
who are becoming quite the gentleman.
This Gamma has been blessed beyond!
"Children's children are a crown to the aged,
and parents are the glory of their children."
~ Proverbs 17:6 ~

Life is sweet, even on those days when it seems like we may be going backwards,
and that sweetness comes straight from our Heavenly Father's heart. ❤

Joy!
~ Debbie ~

23 comments:

Kerin said...

A very uplifting post, thanks for sharing.

Happy news about your mom, and about your recovery as well.
We can be too hard on ourselves at times.

Have a wonderful and healthy week :)

~K.

Sylvia said...

Wonderful that your Mom is driving! Glad you're back to doing good also. Take care of yourself. I know what you mean about slowing down. I am like that, got to be doing something all the time. Thank you for my birthday card, you're so thoughtful!
Hugs, Sylvia

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Thank you for the updates on both you and your mom, Debbie! I can't believe that your miracle mom is driving. My, she has made great strides. How wonderful of your therapist o change things up for you so that bedtime would not be a dreaded event. She does know you well! I know you appreciate those grandsons of yours, and you shared the perfect verse from Proverbs to express that. Love and warm hugs are sent to you.

Pom Pom said...

Good! I'm glad you are taking it easy, Debbie. You're healing fast.

Anne Payne said...

Isn't it wonderful, the answers to our prayers from our Father in heaven? he loves us and cares for us as no other. Thank you for sharing all the praise due Him! I'm completely understanding of the overdoing it and then getting weepy. I had the same thing when I had my foot surgery almost five years ago. Hang in there! Much love!!!

Debby Ray said...

What a blessing to hear the great news about your mother...and that she is now driving! That is nothing less than a miracle from God! And you know, attitude is more than half the battle when it comes to recovery of any kind...you and your mama definitely have that going for you. I can only imagine how not getting your proper sleep was playing havoc with your emotions...so glad you have been upgraded...
lol! Have a wonderful week, my friend! HUGS!

Creations By Cindy said...

So good to hear the updates dear lady. WONDERFUL news on your mama. Up and driving! WOW! You just can't keep a good or tough woman down can you? So glad to hear you are better too. Bless your heart. I have prayed for you. So glad to see your post. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Regina said...

I'm glad for updates and you and your mom. If you should ever come to Arizona, we are in Chino Valley and would love for you to visit!

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Dear Debbie ~ What wonderful news about your sweet Mom. She is amazing and inspiring.

Those weepy times have a way of sneaking up on you. Glad you are feeling better and that ice therapy is during the day now. Bless your heart.

Love, hugs & continued prayers ~ FlowerLady

NanaNor's said...

Dearest Debbie, What a wonderful post and so very thankful to our Lord for touching and restoring your mom's health; to hear she's driving is incredible. Glad your therapist knows you so well and switched things up a bit! I think we always want to heal faster than we do~I had a little lump taken off of my back in June(9 stitches)and the scar still hurts-I told hubby today that I need to remember it was just two months ago I had it done. You are doing so well, even if it isn't fast enough for you. Praying the healing comes quickly and that before you know it, you'll be back to normal.
With prayers and love,
Noreen

Cheryl said...

Oh, praise the Lord, dear friend! I am SO thankful to know that both you and your dear Mom are getting such wonderful progress reports! I am so sorry you had that bump in the road last week but so grateful you are doing better now. God is so faithful, and yes, He surely is a prayer-hearing and prayer-answering God. I don't know what we would do without Him to turn to. I don't even want to think about that. Praise His name, we will never have to find out because He will be with us always. May He continue to send healing and recovery to you and your Mom. Sending hugs to you today!

Rose L said...

I was always a wall flower and missed out on so much when in school. It was not until afterwards that I was a little more able to talk and join in on things due to great, supportive friends. Good to hear you and your mother are doing much better! Prayers!

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

Wonderful news for you and your Mom! That weepy spell was the hurdle you had to get over and it's all downhill from there. You will be driving yourself soon and wonder at how you made it through. But we know how you did!

Lea @ CiCis Corner said...

Oh, bless your sweet heart Debbie, recuperation is tough. Especially when you are use to leading a very active life.

I so enjoyed the story of what turned your life around. That's such a great story.

I can hardly believe your Mom. Our parents generation is so very tough and I'm convinced that we are likely not near as tough.

Here's to a wonderful week and to great strides in the knee therapy.

Ruth Hiebert said...

isn't it often during those times when we have so many things to be thankful for that the sad notes want to creep in as well? I find that to be true in my life.I am thankful that you are surrounded by loving,caring folks who take good care of you. Praying that you will continue on the upward road to recovery.Hugs to you.

Annesphamily said...

Hi Debbie, lots of prayers for you each day. I met a friend for coffee/tea last Monday She shared a wonderful and free prayer app with me called Echo. I started using it and it is a joyful way to pray for each individual person that I can. I love to pray but sometime I feel like I am missing someone and yet I know God knows each heart. It is wonderful and my friend Pam told me when I shared it with her she added my son Jeremy as her first name into the app. He will lose his job as well as the jobs of five team memeber Sept 28 so they are all need to find work. I am grateful to all who pray for him. I am glad you have a therapist who knows you so well and helps you get to where you need to be. Oh life is difficult at times. I am grateful I have the ability to pray for others. One of the pastors from our church, his oldest son, Ethan, is in ICU. He has some infectious disease the experts are not currently able to pinpoint. It is so heart wretching! He is very much like his father and I have listened to a short video of Ethan speaking at a youth conference. He has Jesus in his soul! But as a mother, my heart aches for him and his parents and two younger brothers. He was in AFrica and the IFD doctors are trying to pinpoint how and why this infection took over his body. I am praying you keep getting stronger and pain free each and every day. You are a beautiful person and I am so honored to call you my friend. I loved your story of your younger days here too. Blessings and Healing my friend HUGS Anne

hobbyloes said...

How nice to hear that your mother is doing well and that you have had the worst.
So recognizable that you used to be shy and that you later learned to rid yourself of yourself.
Beautiful post Debbie, wish you a lot of blessings.♥

Margie said...

I'm so happy to hear that your mom is doing well and that you're making progress with surgery.

Blogging is the adult version of show and tell. It provides us an opportunity to share our treasures like teawares!

Anonymous said...

So many good blessings mingled in with the times of trials. God is so faithful. Even in the necessary fire He meets us with sweet consolation.
God bless you Debbie as you continue on this journey He has chosen for you.
He will be glorified as Christ is formed more deeply within.
Hugs from Shirley

Anonymous said...

So many good blessings mingled in with the times of trials. God is so faithful. Even in the necessary fire He meets us with sweet consolation.
God bless you Debbie as you continue on this journey He has chosen for you.
He will be glorified as Christ is formed more deeply within.
Hugs from Shirley

Sue said...


Our heavenly Father certainly knows how to get us out of our comfort zone doesn't He, Debbie.
I am thankful you had that talk with yourself Debbie, you always encourage me no matter what you are experiencing!
Giving thanks and praise for your Mom's recovery, my mother amazes me with her tenacity to overcome too, and like your Mother, she depends on the Lord.
Keep trusting and I will keep praying for your continued healing, yes, it is tough waiting especially when slow isn't in our vocabulary, I now!
Thank you for your kind, and thoughtful comment on our loss of Jack, it meant so much to me.
Blessings,
Sue

Stephanie said...

Such a sweet post and me, what a pretty picture! Indeed, you could talk to a shrimp and make it feel right at home-HA! That is one thing {among many} that I admire about you. You can make someone feel comfortable and cherished all through your talking. It's a gift. There was an elderly gentleman at City Market selling rubber duckies for the duck race and he immediately drew me in. He reminded me so much of grandpa and I told him so :) I told him he was a talker and story-teller just like my grandpa. And yes, he got me to buy 3 ducks for the race.

Anyway, have a good day tomorrow. I hope your doctor visit goes well. Love you!

Annesphamily said...

So happy to hear you are doing so great! I am smiling at you ! Those sunflowers...so gorgoeus. I was in a seed swap a few years ago. A lady sent me sunflower seeds from W Virginia. Said as a small child her daddy told her when she saw one growing to look up to heaven and see Jesus smiling back at her. Oh goodness I LOVED her story. Nick's cat Rose isn't well. We think it is sinus gunk but we have an appointment at noon for her. Say a little prayer please. I am chuckling over Stephanie's comment here. Rubber duckies, hee hee hee! So sweet! I will stop by soon. Take care and keep keeping on my friend. HUGS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...