Monday, May 2, 2016

The Death of a Dove~


  I stepped out my front door dressed and ready
 for my afternoon walk only to find there was a stillness in the air.
I stood there for a second looking and listening carefully.
Not a bird, squirrel, or turkey was in sight;
it was much too quiet.
 I then noticed what appeared to be some tiny bird feathers
laying on the driveway straight ahead of me.
They had a glistening effect as the little ray of sunshine
beamed through the clouds giving them a beautiful silver tint.
It had been snowing lightly all day, the type of snow
that quickly turns to water drops on the ground.
I walked over to examine those feathers as they lay
lifeless never to take take flight again.
Each little feather was covered with water droplets
from the moisture we had been getting. 


 They looked like the feathers of a dove, our first dove of the spring
had come without my notice and then vanished,
leaving behind the evidence that she (or he) had been there.
I looked around the property, hoping to see the feathered friend
 hovering somewhere in fear of needing help;
however, all I saw as I looked up the hill was another little pile
of bird feathers matching the ones I had just examined.
It was obvious that this feathered friend had lost it's life
and likely to a larger predator.
I wasn't there to witness what happened to this little bird,
knowing the course of nature,
it likely became food that was consumed.


The usual activity from the wildlife was silenced,
 I'm sure they were nestled quietly in hiding
until they knew it was safe to come out.
Living in the mountains we have all sorts of creatures
 that would have enjoyed this little guy for a meal.
What could it have been? The fox, the mountain lion, the hawk,
 or possibly some other big bird of prey?
Hmmm...what if it is the weasel 
who has taken up residence in our shed;
not because we have allowed him a comfortable place to lay his head
but because he is wise and sneaky.


On my walk, I thought about the incident and then began to think
of how quickly that bird was taken,
likely before it even knew it's predator was near by.
The Bible verse from 1 Peter 5:8 popped into my head.
"Be sober, be vigilant: because your adversary the devil,
as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking 
whom he may devour."  
We are told to be sober-minded; spiritual sober-mindedness
includes the ideas of steadfastness, self control,
clarity of mind and moral decisiveness.
We are not to be caught up in the allurements of the world.
We are to be "vigilant", watchful, and alert.
Because the devil, our adversary and his forces
are always looking for opportunities to overwhelm
the believer with temptation, persecution, and discouragement.
We should never underestimate the devil; God is greater.


**********

I continued thinking on 1 Peter and thought of verse 9 in Chapter 5,
"Whom resist steadfast in their faith,
knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished 
in your brethren that are in the world." 
The way to resist the devil is by remaining firm in the Christian faith.
"And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit,
and watching thereunto with all perseverance,
and supplication for all saints." (Ephesians 6:17)
We are to live in accord with the truth of God's Word.


We are Sojourners and pilgrims here on this earth
and Peter encourages us through our journey.
"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood,
a holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should show
forth the praises of him who hath called you out
of darkness into his marvelous light." (1 Peter 1:9)
The whole brotherhood , the entire Christian community,
is always going through similar trials brought on by the 
roaring lion who never stops trying to devour believers.
But such a promise we have in (1 Corinthians 10:13)
"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is
common to man: but God is faithful who will
not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able;
but will with the temptation also make a way to escape,
that ye may be able to bear it."

**********

Let us grab hold of this wonderful promise,
 hide it in our hearts and make it our prayer.
"Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them:
because greater is he that is in you,
then he that is in the world." (1 John 4:4) 
Amen.

Be Glorious!
~ Debbie ~



                      

31 comments:

Melanie said...

Debbie, I always feel so sad when something like this happens to a little creature. I used to hear dove calls outside my window and would see two of them from time to time. I too found a little pile of feathers in my lawn one morning and now the dove call is very seldom. We certainly don't know how long we have on this earth or what is in store tomorrow. I just have to remember to hold onto God's hand and not let go. Have a wonderful week, my friend.

Elizabethd said...

We have doves who come to the garden regularly. It is always sad to know that a bird has died for whatever reason.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

It hurts when we something like this. Part of God's lovely creation is no more for us to enjoy.

Yes, oh yes, greater is He that is in me than He that is in the world.

Have a lovely week ~ FlowerLady

Sylvia said...

Beautiful post that truly lets us know we are only here for a while.I have 2 doves that lives in the trees around my home. I love it when they coo and fly close by and land on the lawn. Hubby and I sat on the patio this morning and the doves were eating something in the grass. May God bless you with more doves to visit you Debbie!
Have a blessed week!

Linda said...

Dearest Debbie, this is such a powerful post. Animals are important to the environment and this is why God created them (and saved them with Noah and his family, too, during the flood). I am always saddened when I see a dead animal and am reminded how precious and fragile life is and that we must cherish each moment that we have, because we never know which moment will be our last.

Such a beautiful post, thank you so much for sharing. God bless you, you have such a loving and tender heart.

Anne Payne said...

It's the circle of life. My husband and I saw a huge hawk swoop down and snatch away a small seagull on Saturday. First time we've seen a hawk on the beach. And he came back yesterday looking for seconds! With all the new birdies flying the nest, there is plenty of food for him. :-(

Karen said...

I appreciated your thoughts. We had a dove's nest outside our window with two babies and a hawk got them. It is upsetting and it makes you think about the brevity of life. I'm more grateful everyday that God is my forever Father.

hobbyloes said...

Dear Debbie, what a touching story about the dove and how fragile our lives are.
My husband has a dovecot, last week a neighbor have saved one of his pigeons from a hawk. The dove was injured by its sharp claws, but safe at home.
We must also be aware of the attacks of the evil.
Have a blessed week!

Stephanie said...

A sad yet thought-provoking post. It's sad that sin brought death into this world...but ah, there is hope and LIFE in Jesus because of His sacrifice at Calvary. Just think, heaven must be filled with glorious animals :)

I love how you tied Scripture into the loss of the dove. You have given us much to think upon. Yes, we must be alert!

Have a wonderful afternoon. I'm off to pick the little one up from his testing. Love you!

Roosterhead Designs said...

Hello Debbie~
I am surly in agreement with Stephanie!
"I love how you tied Scripture into the loss of the dove. You have given us much to think upon. Yes, we must be alert!"

Thank you for sharing. Beautiful photo's too Deb.
It reminds me of when we found a wounded dove in our yard; and tried to nurse it back to health. It spent several days/nite's in a basket in the yard; but did not make it. It's partner (I believe dove's mate for life)
stayed on the electric wire above, the whole time. And even after the mate died, it came back every day (several times per day) for nearly a year - as I remember. Broke my heart~
But you are right; such is the circle of nature and life.
I wonder if you too will see a lone dove hanging around?
Blessings to you friend. Karen O

AnnMarie aka Vintage Junkie aka NaNa said...

A lovely post with lots of good biblical lessons and encouragement to take to heart!

Elizabeth said...

A beautiful post! I too love the way you tied the scripture in.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

You always amaze me how you tie nature into scripture, Debbie! What a beautifully written post on making us aware and alert. I have so many doves that visit my yard year round. They have the most soothing call, don't they?
Happy evening to you, sweet friend!

Marilyn Mathis said...

What a thought provoking post. God gives us so many examples in nature to teach us about Himself and His ways. Life is so short and we must be ready for the unexpected by committing our lives completely to His control. Thank you for this lovely post and the beautiful pictures. You are such a blessing. Hugs.

Vicky Hunt said...

Such a lovely and thought provoking post Debbie. Nature seems so cruel at times, but it is necessary I understand. I love how you used this scenario to lead into some wonderful scripture. I hope you enjoyed a lovely Monday and I hope your week is filled with many blessings. Thank you for sharing your lovely words.

Hugs, Vicky

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Debbie, Oh what a beautiful post and lesson you share. Nature goes around even though some of the natural way of life seems hard and sad at times.
You have weaved God's teachings into this story so wonderfully like you always do. Thank you for sharing and your beautiful photos.
Wishing you a wonderful new week and Happy May sweet friend.
Blessings, xo

Linda Walker said...

Debbie,
I love our doves. My newfie found one on the lawn late one night. He barked until we took him out and he led us straight to the injured little bird. We kept him in a box overnight then drove him to a wildlife rescue 50 miles away. That sweet little bird recovered and was released. Your post is beautiful and thought provoking. (As always) Thank you for posting. The memory of my gentle 105 lb dog who knew a little bird needed help and led us to him made me smile. :) How I miss that dog. Sending hugs,
Linda

Linda Walker said...

Debbie,
I love our doves. My newfie found one on the lawn late one night. He barked until we took him out and he led us straight to the injured little bird. We kept him in a box overnight then drove him to a wildlife rescue 50 miles away. That sweet little bird recovered and was released. Your post is beautiful and thought provoking. (As always) Thank you for posting. The memory of my gentle 105 lb dog who knew a little bird needed help and led us to him made me smile. :) How I miss that dog. Sending hugs,
Linda

Cheryl said...

Thank you for this edifying, encouraging, gentle post, dear friend. I am SO sorry about the little dove...it served the purpose for which it was created, and even though it seems so sad to us to know it is gone, God took care of another through its death. I love the spiritual applications you brought out...you are such a dear blessing to me. I SO appreciated the words of comfort you left on my blog. Our hearts are so broken...there are no words. God bless you, dear friend.

NanaDiana said...

I know it is the natural order of life but I always feel so bad when a harmless, helpless little creature loses its lie to a predator. I know God watches over all of creation and it is what it is supposed to be.....but.....being human, I still don't like the deaths that are part of the process. xo Diana

Bethany Carson said...

Sorry to hear about the dove! Will be hoping you get another one this spring that is blessed with a happier fate. I always love listening to mourning doves sing. It brings back good memories from our trip to Texas years ago when we spent a couple nights at KAO with many doves around the campground! I even was inspired to do a little songwriting there!

shortybear said...

very sad

Deborah Montgomery said...

Such a good post to remind us to be alert and aware. It's so easy to slide into complacency when we really are in a battle every day! And then we wonder what happened!
Blessings to you Debbie. xo Deborah

Marilyn @ MountainTopSpice said...

Oh I do feel your pain at seeing the loss of a gentle creature... yet I loved how you wove in the story of our enemy who seeks us just like the enemy of the dove... and how vigilant we must be to guard against the attacks that will come. Beautiful scriptures, insight, and lovely pictures of the doves too... always such a joy, encouraging, and blessed experience to come here and have you share your heart Debbie! Much love to you today!

J said...

Awwww....so sad, but so sensitively expressed. God's eyes were on that little dove, as He assures us.
In the woods behind our house, until just this year, we heard the haunting hoot of an owl. I caught one glimpse of him with wings outspread. Beautiful! But I knew he was feasting on the squirrels, chipmunks and bunnies who live there too.

Celestina Marie said...

Stopping back by to wish you a very happy Mother's Day. Hope you enjoy a special weekend. Blessings and love.

Joy Junktion said...

Lovely words of truth! Have a blessed Mother's Day weekend! Blessings, Cindy xo

Diwakar said...

Hello Debbie. I am blessed to go through your blog post on The Death of a Dove. At the end of your post the scriptures you have quoted are so encouraging. Thank you for your reminder " Ye are of God, little children, and have overcome them: because greater is He that is in you , then he that is in the world" Well I am blessed and feel privileged and honored to get connected with you and know you through your profile on the blogger because of who you are in the Lord Jesus Christ. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for last 37 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. we reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the broken hearted. We also encourage young adn the adults from the west to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. We would love t have your grown up children alongwith their friends to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. god's richest blessings on you, your family and friend and also wishing you a blessed and a Christ centered rest of the year 2016. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede.

Robyn said...

I read this post 3 times this morning, Debbie, and I'm going to have a lot to think about - thank you. Each time I come here, I am made to stop my manic pace, breathe and think about what is important. You write so beautifully, my friend. Your gift is very much appreciated. Love to you!

Michele M./ Finch Rest said...

I am truly sorry about your sweet dove. We found a dead bluebird again this year - that's three years in a row. Now when I see those beauties all I want to do is run it away staying to go somewhere safer, the hawks know you live here now!

Your devotional is always so good for my soul, thank you so much.

Glad you had a wonderful mother's day - you have done a remarkable job with your family, Debbie. Hugs and love. ♥

Unknown said...

So sorry for your loss. I too experienced a heavy loss a couple days ago. I was adopted by a mourning dove a couple years ago. She has been with me every day since she came into my life. Doves will lay two eggs about once a month. Of course sammi's eggs were not fertile so she will lay on them for two weeks which is the normal time til hatching. I recently replaced one of her eggs with a fertile egg. It hatched right on schedule. It was great to see her care for a baby, she is a great mother. Unfortunately the little dove named Peanut developed an illness that caused very labored breathing. It was heartbreaking to see peanut under stress and I knew I had to help in some way. Fortunately there is a bird hospital nearby. With tears in my eyes I took peanut in my hand just after Sammi cleaned her feathers. I drove to the hospital while holding Peanut. I could tell she was stressed which added more tears. Once I arrived the staff took her to the back room and said they would let me know the outcome. I felt horrible knowing she was in unfamiliar surroundings. The call came the next day telling me she had passed. I have been grief stricken for the last few days. Of course it is on my mind constantly. Last night while taking a shower the glass steamed up and to my relief an image appeared of Peanut. It was very detailed with two perfect drops of water that formed on both sides before running down and forming the shape of wings. I was both happy and sad. I pray Peanut is happy where she is now and that I will see her again. It is amazing to me how in such a short time a little dove has made a huge change in my outlook on life. I will always keep her in my heart.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...