Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Christmas Memories ~ Two Lovely Ladies ~

Merry Christmas!

This month I have been sharing with you
some women in my life who have
inspired me in ways that have graced my 
home and my life, bringing glory to my God.
I have enjoyed sharing with you
a recipe that each women used
during the Christmas Holidays 
and the lasting memories
 that come with those tasty treats.
~~~***~~~
I am thankful for my very dear and precious
mother & mother-in-law,
two women whom I love dearly. 

~ My Dear Mother ~

My mother made our Christmases almost magical!
She has the gift of decorating
a home to where you are surrounded
with the warmth and love
in every crack and cranny of each room.
I can remember as a young child
enjoying EVERY single Christmas
with excitement , joy and delight!
Her gifts were bought and wrapped with love
then placed under the tree early
causing great anticipation of what could be inside.
For me... those gifts were gorgeous!
She could have just given me a beautifully
wrapped empty box,
and my heart would have been thrilled.
~~~***~~~
My mother's heritage is Italian,
and I have some amazing recipes
in a number of cook~books that have been 
handed down to me from her side of the family.
My mother didn't do a lot of baking
like her mother and my granny  did,
but mom loved making candy
during the Christmas Holidays,
and boy, could she make candy!
Two of her child hood favorites were
 ~ Divinity & Penuchi ~
 ~~~***~~~
Candy is not the easiest to make
and neither is it my favorite,
but divinity was the one candy I enjoyed 
that mother made over the holidays.
This particular candy is fluffy
 and a little bit chewy.
I always thought it was a beautiful candy
 with it being so white and pure.

Divinity
2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup water
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup nuts (I use pecans, mom's favorite)
Boil sugar, water and syrup until it forms a hand ball in cold water. (about 10 min.)
Beat egg whites until firm
then add syrup slowly beating until stiff and not glossy. (about 15 min.)
Add the nuts (if desired) and 
drop by small spoon fulls onto waxed paper.

Here's a tip:
When beating the syrup into the egg whites
you want to be sure and whip until the mixture
is not glossy. Sounds strange I know.
The consistency  will be like a dry mud
when it is ready to spoon out.



 ENJOY!
~~~***~~~


~ My Dear Mother-in-law ~

My Dear mother-in-law Betty,
went home to be with the Lord,
in the year of 2013.
I was the blessed one to of had 
a gracious and loving 
mother-in-law who showed
by the example of her own life
what a Proverbs 31 women was to be like.
My husband would tell you
that his mother's favorite room in their home
was the kitchen, and I would agree with him.
~~~***~~~
My mother-in-law's heritage was English,
and she lived her life in Canada.
Betty loved to bake
and there was ALWAYS sweet desserts available.
It was through Betty that 
I learned how to make pastry.
Pastry is not an easy thing to make,
but she mesmerised me when I would sit
at the kitchen table and watch the work of her hands
as we visited with one another.
She was graceful when using her rolling pin
then lifting the pastry and placing
it in the pie or tart pans.
And then...
the gracefulness of her fingers as she would
gently scallop the edges to perfection.
She was beautiful to watch
as she worked and hummed a sweet tune in her kitchen.
~~~***~~~
Many times it is our actions that teach others.
Words are not always necessary, are they?
These two women portrayed loveliness
before me as I watched them use the gifts 
God graced them with.
We are the blessed ones
when we glean much from those 
older women God places in our lives.
~~~***~~~
This year I asked my husband 
what he would like of all the sweets his mother
made over the Christmas holiday's
when he was just a boy growing up,
and this was his choice.


Saucepan Kisses
I just love the names of these gems!
  2 cups brown sugar (packed)
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup cocoa
1 cup shredded coconut
Combine brown sugar, milk, butter
and melt in a saucepan.
Bring to a boil ~ stirring constantly.
Boil gently, stirring for 5 minutes.
Remove from heat & add vanilla and stir.
Pour remaining ingredients into the saucepan & stir.
Drop by spoon fulls onto wax paper.

Here's a tip:
Be sure and have all your ingredients ready
before you even start to boil the sugar mixture
because it all happens quickly!




Enjoy!
~~~***~~~ 

 God's Gift
On that dark night in Bethlehem,
"the angel brought forth
good tidings of great joy,
which shall be to all people." 
In that one small Child,
God sent the answer to man's every need.
~~~***~~~
He sent us an Advocate (1John 2:1)
He sent the Bread of Life (John 6:35)
He sent the Living Water (John 4:10)
He sent the Prince of Peace (Isaiah 9:6)
He sent the Counselor (Isaiah 9:6)
He sent the Everlasting Father (Isaiah 9:6)
He sent the Good Shepherd (John 10:11)
He sent the Light of the world (John 8:10)
He sent the Deliverer (Romans 11:26)
He sent the great High Priest (Hebrews 4:14)
He sent us Hope (1Timothy 1:1)
He sent Truth (John 14:6)
He sent us a Lamb (Revelation 13:8)
He sent a Lion (Revelation 5:5)
He sent a Savior (2Timothy 1:10)
~~~***~~~
It's no wonder the angels lifted their voices
and worshiped on that quiet hillside.
The Father had sent the world
an expression of His love.
Light had pierced the world's darkness.
The Child had arrived!
Who will reach out their hands
and receive God's Gift? 
~~~***~~~
Our Precious Heavenly Father.
Thank you for the love You
have shown to us in the midst of our brokenness.
I ask if there are any
who do not know You,
they would receive the gift of Your Son,
and allow You to dwell in their hearts,
and make You their own
this Christmas.
Amen.

~ Jesus, Name above all Names ~
Debbie

25 comments:

silverfeather said...

What a beautiful post, Debbie! I see that you look like your dear mother. I agree that sometimes it is our actions that teach others. Thank you for the scriptures...the one that jumped out to me is I Timothy 1:1, He sent us hope! God Bless You Debbie and I wish you and your family a Wonder-ful Christmas and a Blessed New Year!

Stephanie said...

Oh Mom, you have once again caused the tears to flow...do you realize I have cried EVERY time that I have visited in the last three weeks?!

Your portrayed these two special women {grandmothers to me} so beautifully. Dear Grandma Dee always has wrapped lovely gifts. I remember when I worked with her in her Toy Store I wanted to be able to wrap just like her :) I have fond memories of decorating the Christmas tree over the years with Grandma Dee - the Marie Alexander Doll tree was a fun one we did together. Remember that one? Grandma Dee and I laughed a lot that day...

And precious Grandma Betty... she was a jewel! I loved watching her in the kitchen too. It's like she became one with her baking and it was effortless for her. Her fingers moved gracefully as she prepared dishes of love. I miss her sweets, but more than that I miss HER! Oh how I miss her!

Once again, you have written a post that inspires and blesses. Simply beautiful, dear mom :)

I'll see you in a few hours for our tea - looking forward to it! Love you!

Stephanie said...

Oh bother, not Marie Alexander! I meant Madame Alexander... :)

Dianna said...

Dear Debbie,

Thank you so much for sharing with us your precious mother and mother-in-law. What treasures they both have been to you. My mother is still living at age 85 and I treasure the times I have with her. I also had a gem of a mother-in-law. I learned so much from her about cooking, baking, candy making and homemaking.

Our actions are so important, and as you said, we don't always need words.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes. At some point I want to try the Saucepan Kisses.

NanaDiana said...

What a wonderful, sweet tribute to both your Mom and Mom-in-law. It looks like you have two wonderful examples of Godly women who showed their love through daily activities.

This was a great post- xo Diana

J said...

I just adore coming to this place of peace and beauty - accompanied by such restful music! I am so glad I discovered you! Reading your tributes to such lovely women have made me recall the magic of my own Christmas childhood years. It was mom and her beautifully wrapped gifts, and grandma, with her elegant dinners who remain in my heart now - and inspire me to do the same for my family!

Camille said...

What a lovely series you are doing on the precious women in your life my friend. What beautiful memories you have of them. I enjoyed reading about your Mom and Mom-in-Love here today. Interesting...my Mum-in-Love is English, too...they emigrated to Canada in the mid sixties. She is the one who taught me how to make pastry as well. :) Hugs to you! Camille

Sola Scriptura said...

I enjoyed reading this tribute to these two special ladies. Thank you for sharing the special recipes too. Your blog is a joy to visit!
Hugs,
Lauren

Debby Ray said...

A most precious post, Debbie. You are as beautiful as your sweet mama and it is no wonder where you and your sweet Stephanie get "it"! I also remember Stephanie's post about her Grandma Betty going home to be with Jesus. What a wonderful heritage and beautiful examples of gracious women of God. Blessings!

Bethany Carson said...

What a sweet tribute to your mother and mother-in-law. Thank you for sharing their recipes.

Mrs. Smith said...

Precious Christmas posts! And thank you for sharing these recipes with us! Hope you have a merry Christmas!

Vicky Hunt said...

This was a beautiful and heartfelt post Debbie. Thank you for sharing a glimpse into of the love and memories you have of your mother and late mother in law. I am blessed to have a wonderful mama and mother in law in my life as well. I thank God for choosing them for me. Have a blessed and beautiful week my friend.

Hugs, Vicky

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What a lovely post, my friend, to share these two beautiful women who have been such a loving influence in your life. I loved reading your memories of both of them and then reading the recipes that they shared with you. This was a wonderful post filled with precious memories. Love to you!

Anne Payne said...

Debbie, This is such a lovely tribute to your mom and MIL. Those cookies look delightful! I make some that are similar and my guys devour them. I can see where Stephanie gets her joy for homemaking. What a wonderful legacy you have passed down!

Celestina Marie said...

Dear Debbie, what a beautiful post in honor of two important women in your life. What a gift to have been given from God. Mother's are very special.
Thank you for sharing the wonderful recipes. Both look delicious!
Wishing you a very special Christmas filled with much love. Thank you for your friendship in blogland. I have truly been blessed by you in more ways then I can say.
Sending HUGS

Deborah Montgomery said...

Debbie, this is such a lovely tribute to your mother and mother in law. What wonderful memories you have. I can see three generations of beautiful women!
Blessings to you as you care for your dear mom; I pray that you will all have a happy and blessed Christmas.

Jazzmin said...

What a joyful, beautiful post! Sharing of these wonderful, godly, precious women in your life and what they have meant and still mean to you in your life and your memories is so special. It is so beautiful to read of your reflections on them and the joy they have brought you during this blessed season and in their homes and kitchens. Your mother's divinity recipe looks delicious. Divinity is big in the South and it's always neat to see recipes for it :) And I, too, just love the sweet name of those Saucepan Kisses! How cute, and oh do they look good. It was so wonderful to hear more about your mother-in-law, Betty, as I have read posts about her on Stephanie's blog and so enjoyed hearing about the wonderful lady she was. What a cherished blessing to have such ladies be such an influence and a gift in your life and in your heart. Your thankfulness for them is truly something the Lord surely smiles down upon.

Thank you also for listing those verses of what our precious Savior is. I am bookmarking your lovely post for both the recipes and the verses :)

Love and hugs to you and may you have a most blessed week and Christmas.
~Jazzmin

Robyn said...

Oh my, Debbie. You know how to touch people in the most amazing way. Such a heartwarming, joyous post! These recipes are so special and it's lovely that you share them with all of us.
You have left me with such a full heart once again, my friend. How fortunate I am to have you and your Stephanie in my life!

Karen @ Beatrice Euphemie said...

Such dear and sweet memories of two inspiring women, Debbie! Not only were they inspiring, but they gave us you, Debbie and your sweet daughter, Stephanie whom I am sure exemplifies all that they stand for. Thank you so much for the wonderful recipes and the lovely scriptures. Thank you, also, for your dear Friendship. Wishing you a lovely Christmas, and many sweet Blessings for the New Year.
A hug for you xo
Karen

Sandi said...

To be remembered so sweetly, that's a life well-lived!

Think Loveliness said...

What a beautiful post of lovely ladies who have made a real difference in their world to bless their families! God bless you as you do the same daily. Love the recipes you share too. Merry Christmas!

Nina said...

Hi Debbie,
Such a warm and beautiful post - your love and respect for you mom and mother-in-law is shining through the lines. A wonderful testimony of how blessings continue from one generation to another and accumulate - Lord's faithfulness in your family! Those sweet treats look so nice - homemade goodies taste much better, made with love :)
Blessings to your weekend,
wishing you a joyous and merry Christmas!
Nina

Joyful said...

Another lovely post with delectable recipes and a poignant homage to two beautiful women who graced your life. Here is wishing you more warm memories of them to sustain you in years to come. Have a wonderful Christmas. Blessings and love. xx

Linda Walker said...

Hi Debbie, I am catching up on some blog reading tonight. This is such a wonderful post. You were certainly doubly blessed to have these 2 lovely ladies in your life. The way in which you write about them is especially sweet and heartfelt.

I am also surprised to find a recipe in this post that I have been looking for for a long time. (Saucepan Kisses) My mother used to make them when I was young, she misplaced the recipe and here it is.

Happy New Year Debbie, and I will look forward to your posts of faith and family which I find very inspiring.

Linda mysewwhatblog

Unknown said...

I so enjoy coming on your and Stephanie's blog, they are always so heartwarming and beautiful, and I love the pictures,
I only wish I had half the talent you both have, or I would do a blog also.
You both are a great blessing in my life Thank you.
God bless you on this day and everyday.
Love you sis💕

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...