Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Found Treasure on Memory Lane



OVER THE MOUNTAINS AND THROUGH THE WOODS
TO GRANDMOTHERS HOUSE I GO...
~
Memories... We all have them, don't we?
When I was young I would spend many a night
or even a week-end with my dear grandparents
on my fathers side.
My grandmother was full of life and vigor
and still is to some degree at the age of 97.  
I was blessed to inherit  my grandmothers name for my middle name.
I was the first born grand-daughter
with many similarities and characteristics
much like my precious grandma.
~
During my growing up years and sleep overs
with my grandparents,
 I would dance the night away with grandma
as grandpa played his accordion along with his polka music.
Those were special times indeed.

My grandfather went home to be with the Lord
quite some years ago...
I grew up... and the dancing came to a stop...
~
I often wondered who would end up with his polka records.
It seemed as if I was the only grandchild who appreciated them.
but, I was just a grandchild, 
and surely one of his four children would inherit them?
~
My father asked my grandma some years ago
of what she planned to do with grandpa's records?
His sister had asked for his accordion
so we figured she would get the polka records as well.
~
As some of you know
 my parents had an estate sale
here a few days ago that has consumed my entire summer.
We have gone through every corner of their home,
every inch of their 40 acres
and through all their possessions that they have gathered over nearly 60 years of marriage.
We never came across any polka records
in all the hundreds of albums and 45's
that my father has collected over the years.
Dad wasn't fond of polka, ha ha
it's not every ones favorite. :)
~
But...
Somewhere~somehow~
After the sale was over,
we found a huge box of polka albums sitting amongst dads other albums
in his office/ recording room.
To our surprise and delight, they were grandpa's.
Found treasure...
Happy memories...
Thankful hearts...
~
We have no idea where these came from
or where they were found.
But God...In His goodness to us...
brought great joy to our overflowing thankful hearts.
~
My home is now filled with the sound of my grandpa
as I play his polka records
and dance with delight and pure joy within my heart.
~
~The Lord delights in blessing His dear children~
" The Lord hath done great things for us,
whereof we are glad."
(Psalm 126:3) 
~
"I will praise the name of God with a song,
and will magnify Him with thanksgiving."
Precious Heavenly Father,
You are praiseworthy,
and we thank Thee,  for Your goodness
and love towards us in so many wonderful ways. 
May our mouths be filled with praise
to Thy glory.
Amen.
~
 ~Be Blessed~
Debbie 



20 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

How wonderful to have the polka records from your grandfather Debbie! I do hope you enjoy them. Thanks so muc for the visit and glad you like my makeup Monday! I love the new look of your blog too. Have a nice fall day.
Julie

Stephanie said...

So sweet, Mom! I know you love, love, love Polka and I'm glad these treasued records went to you :) I have often heard of your memories at great-grandma's and they're always precious to hear again.

Enjoy! I love you

silverfeather said...

Debbie~ What a loving Heavenly Father He is to give you the desires of your heart that brings back precious memories! Enjoy!

Sola Scriptura said...

Debbie,
That is such a lovely story. I'm delighted for you.
Hugs,
Lauren

Bethany Carson said...

Such sweet memories! I'm glad you got to keep your grandparents' polka records! It would have been so neat to dance and listen to your grandpa play! Reminds me of an elderly gentleman we know who plays the accordion...he would play Waltz Across Texas and his wife would sing along. They are so sweet--and they gave me and each one of my siblings an accordion so we could play as well. They're really special people!

Debby Ray said...

What a wonderful blessing, Debbie! Those polka records may not have been important to anyone else but an all-knowing God knew they were to you! Coincidence? I think NOT!! That's how He does things. Also, love the new look of your blog! Blessings, friend :)

Marilyn Mathis said...

So happy for you that you will be able to enjoy the memories of the past through the records. What a blessing.

Mindy said...

What a blessing to have found those records and all the wonderful memories associated with them! I used to have many sleepovers with my grandparents which often involved watching the Lawrence Welk show and my Granddad dancing with anyone willing or even by himself. Loved them both SO much. Thank you for the memories today...

Deborah Montgomery said...

How fun! What a special blessing that you ended up getting them.
And I like your blog's new look.

Camille said...

What a wonderful silver-lining to conclude your labour of love this past summer! I enjoyed reading your story of your grandparents and those precious records of music from your childhood. Such sweet memories!! Hugs to you! Camille P.S. Your blog looks lovely.

Vicky Hunt said...

Such a sweet post Debbie! I enjoyed reading about your precious childhood memories. What a blessing that the records were found! I know you will receive much pleasure listening to them for years to come. Have a blessed Friday and weekend.

Hugs, Vicky

Cranberry Morning said...

Debbie, that is a wonderful story! I am so happy that you found those records... full of wonderful memories of happy times with your grandparents. Very special indeed!

Robyn said...

Oh, Debbie, what a treasure you have! Thank you for sharing your beautiful childhood story.
I danced with my father when I was a child to Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis, Jr. I would stand on his feet as he led me around the room. I felt like a princess!
Thank you for reminding me of that. I think I had almost forgotten.
A special visit as always. So happy you now have the records!
Have a wonderful weekend :)

White Lace and Promises said...

What a precious memory! I bet those records were put back on purpose. Glad you still have them.

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

I love your new blog look, Debbie.
What a wonderful gift from God to receive those polka records after all your hard work with the estate sale. The memories are a treasure, Debbie, and now you can relive them. By the way, I've always loved to polka!!! I'd be right there with you dancing away.
Happy Sunday blessings.

Ida said...

How thrilling that you found those records and now have them to enjoy along with your memories. That is really a blessing. Polka music isn't for everyone but I think it's lively and fun to listen to for a change of pace.

Unknown said...

That's beautiful sis, many a summer I had the joy of listing grandpa play, I think he tried teaching me how to play a few times, yep!! Went right over my head..lol, I love memories ❤️Blessings

Jazzmin said...

Oh, how special! This made my heart smile so much to read of your joy and delight in the wonderful unexpected blessing of finding these precious things connected so beautifully to your memories. How amazing to get to listen to the sounds of your childhood and think back on your dear Grandpa.

Hoping you are having a blessed Autumn so far! I can tell the colors of nature there are indeed beautiful from your leaves. What a joy it must be to look out on the changing Aspens especially.

Hugs and blessings,
Jazzmin

sweetbriardreams said...

Such lovely memories of your grandparents. The accordion made me smile as we inherited my Great great grandad's one (but too scared to play it!). Take care x

Camille said...

Isn't the Lord just so very, very good to us? We see it so often in the *little* things that aren't so *little*. Hugs, Camille

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...